Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Cost of Raising a Child

My husband and I were dreaming of all of the things we would do if we won the powerball drawing. It is expected to be $250 MILLION dollars. I have a laundry list of things I would do if we won, but number one on the list would be to have another baby. ANOTHER BABY?! Are you freaking crazy??? I'm sure this is what you are thinking. My biggest dream, though is to have a house full of kids and have nothing to do but play with them. Oh, I'd paint, and sew and have a glorious time with the most incredible craft room ever. Wait. I'd make a craft HOUSE. A little comfy number in the back... Sort of like a potting shed on steroids. My main job would be to play with our kids. I would have someone to cook and clean, and I would never have to worry about money again. We could send them all to GREAT colleges! And they would NEVER have to worry about money.
According to the USDA, we are going to have to win the drawing just to afford the three kids we HAVE! The press release says a child born to middle income parents in 2008 will end up costing us "$221,190 ($291,570 when adjusted for inflation) for food, shelter, and other necessities to raise that child over the next seventeen years."
We have three kids. I'm afraid to do the math.
I have to stop and get powerball tickets on the way home from swimming today!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment